Hi, I am Menelas founder and curator for the exhibition series Civil Disobedience. I am gonna use this space to introduce myself and showcase other exciting projects.
I was born in Greece in 1974. At the age of 10 my parents bought me a KODAK instamatic camera and I took it very seriously… At 16 I borrowed my dad’s ‘good’ PENTAX camera for a trip to France… I never returned it. I tried to stay an analogue faithful but surrendered to digital around 2003.
In 2012 I started making films. A friend of mine said I make art-installation films and I like that description. I haven’t formally studied directing but I love holding a camera. I am a sucker for Dogme style but I’ll add my name to the credits as director.
Since 2010 I have worked on creating gay media on YouTube channel gitv. In 2011, I started the exhibition series Civil Disobedience. In 2012, I created and co-founded the Queer Theatre Awards for Athens, Greece. In 2020 I created the Satyrs and Maenads: the Athens Porn Film Festival.
Homo Made Films
The Good Kid -11″ (2012)-Outview Film Festival watch on vimeo
The Naked Truth -33″ (2012)- Outview Film Festival -unavailable online
Post-Orgasmic 12″-(2013)- watch on vimeo
- Outview Film Festival (Athens),
- Athens International Film Festival , September 23rd 2013
The Raspberry Reich GR -9″ (2015)-link upon request
- Civil Disobedience: Versions of Violence, Athens, Greece. January 2015 (with alternate ending)
- Outview Film Festival , Athens, Greece. May 2015
- Unharmonious Perverted Festival, Volos, Greece. June 2015
- Thessaloniki International LGBT-Q Film Festival, September 2015
- Berlin Porn Film Festival, Germany. October 2015
- FICGLB Barcelona International LGBTQI Film Festival, Spain. October 2015
- Pink Screens International Film Festival Brussels, November 2015
- Pop Porn Festival , Sao Paolo, Brazil, June 2016
- “Kwir: an Exhibition of Queer Identity “ Blackburn, UK, March 2018
- Vienna Porn Film Festival, April 7th 2019
This is not a ROBOT Film Festival, Athens, October 5th, 2019
Scattered Thoughts of a Young Sex Worker -14″ (2016)-watch on vimeo
- Outview Film Festival, Athens, May 2016
- Thessaloniki International LGBT-Q Film Festival, September 2016
- HE2017, Last Projects Gallery, Los Angeles. April 2017
- Berlin Porn Film Festival, Germany. October 2017
- Asterisco Film Festival, November 2017, Buenos Aires, Argentina
- Winter Wonder World – Queer edition- Cinema Queer- Sweden, December 2017
- Porn Film Festival Viena, 2nd of March 2018, Vienna
- Outview Film Festival, 22nd April 2018, Athens, Greece
- Pornceptual Party, 8 December 2018, Berlin, Germany
- International Queer Film Festival Hamburg, October 20th, 2018
- Berlin Porn Film Festival, Germany, October, 2018
- Queersicht Film Festival, Bern Switzerland, November 10th, 2018
- FUN Porn Shorts, Thalia Dresden, December 21st, 2018
- Queere Filmwoche, Leipzig, January 12 & 13, 2019
- Court Mais Trash, Belgium, January 18th, 2019
- Fish and Chips Porn Film Festival, Torino, Italy, January 20th, 2019
- Vienna Porn Film Festival, Austria, April 5th 2019
- Outview Film Festival, Athens, Greece, April 12th 2019
- Hacker Porn Film Festival, Rome, Italy, April 2019
- Hot Bits Festival, Philadelphia, USA, April 27th 2019
- Fairy Tales Queer Film Festival,Calgary, Canada, May 2019
- Hot Bits Festival, Baltimore, USA, May 3rd 2019
- Queer Mais Trash, Belgium, May 15th 2019
- Shanghai PRIDE Film Festival, June 2019
- Boiling Films x Pugnant Film Series | A Greek Shorts Anthology, Boiler Athens, June 10th 2019
- Bari International Gender Film Festival , Italy, September 26th, 2019
- Toronto Queer Film Festival, Canada, November 2019
- Pink Screens, Belgium, Brussels, November 10th, 2019
- Fringe! Queer Film Fest, London, UK, November 16th, 2019
- Porn Night Graz, Graz, Austria November 20th, 2019
- PRIDE Queer Film Festival, Perth Australia, March 7th, 2020
- Berlin Porn Film Festival, Germany, October 2019
- FUN Porn Shorts, Thalia Dresden, December 21st, 2019
- Court Mais Trash, Belgium, January 16th, 2020
- Greek Shorts Online-Satyrs and Maenads: the Athens Porn Film Festival, 22-24th May 2020
Unos Cuantos Piquetitos (2015) – watch on vimeo
- CHOUFTOUHONNA, Festival International d’Art Féministe de Tunis
- Good Girls Don’t Dance Provocatively 7″ (2012) watch on vimeo
- Good Girls Don’t… 3″ (2012) watch on vimeo
- Even If Official Music Video 4″ (2013)-Sardenia Queer Film Festival-watch on youtube
- The summoning (Director’s Cut) (2016) watch on youtube
- HGW-HGW ft. Holly Grace (2016) watch on youtube
- U-(Menelas’ Cut) directed with George Kanis- watch on vimeo
- A Glimpse (2019)- for “Encounters with Whitman” at the DaVinci Art Alliance Gallery June 8-16th, Philladelphia, USA- watch on vimeo
- Satyrs and Sapho: a greek LGBT selection. Porn Film Festival Vienna, Schikaneder Kino April 7, 2019
- Vienna Porn Film Festival 2019-International Short Jury
- Dec 1995 “A little photography exhibition” P.Psihico Cultural Centre, Athens, Greece.
- Feb 1996 “ The summer is here”, Insomnia café, Glasgow. UK
- Oct 1998 “Portrait of a lady” GFT-Glasgow Film Theatre, Glasgow, UK.
- Oct 1999 “Inside the tube” (photography and poetry exhibition-major contributor and co-curator) Gillmorehill Centre, University of Glasgow, UK
- Oct-Nov 2000 “ Dialogues between Flesh and Stone” Tron Theatre Foyer, photography and poetry, (major contributor and co-curator), Glasgow, UK.
- June 2001 “White Nudes” LGBT Centre, Glasgow, UK.
- March 2003 “Boys in the City” Centre for Contemporary Arts (CCA), Glasgow, UK.
- July 2004 “Boys in the City: Highlights” The Arches, Glasgow, UK.
- November 2005 “Shirley’s Temple”, Tron Theatre, Glasgow, UK.
- November 2006 “Iliac/Ilium”, Brunswick Hotel, Glasgow, UK.
- February-March 2010 “Μαρτης #01074”, Greek Taverna, Το Βραστό, Χαλάνδρι, Athens
- June 2011 “Civil Disobedience: youth revolt” (founder, contributor and co-curator) Booze Cooperativa, Athens
- May-June 2012 “Civil Disobedience: Gender Identity” (co-curator and contributor) Vault Theatre Plus, Athens.
- May-June 2013 “Civil Disobedience: Nuclear Family” (co-curator and contributor) Vault Theatre Plus, Athens.
- Jan 2015 “Civil Disobedience: Version of Violence” (co-curator and contributor) Vault Theatre Plus, Athens.
- May 2014 “The Raspberry Reich GR”, Greek Film Archives, as part of the Outview Film Festival.
- Nov 2016 “Civil Disobedience: Poetry and Porn” (curator and contributor), Heroes Cafe Bar, Athens, Greece.
- April 2017 “HE2017”, Group exhibition, Last Projects Gallery, Los Angeles
- August 2017 “Ikarian People”, Carte Postale Cafe, Ikaria, Greece.
- November 2017 “Civil Disobedience: Neon vs. Nature” (curator and contributor), ΡΟΜΑΝΤΣΟ, Athens, Greece.
- March-April 2018 “Kwir: an Exhibition of Queer Identity “ (Group Exhibition) at The Bureau – Centre for the Arts and The Chapel Galleries , Blackburn, UK.
- November 2018 “Civil Disobedience: Creation vs. Evolution” (curator and contributor), ΡΟΜΑΝΤΣΟ, Athens, Greece.
- February 2019, “Homosurrealism Paris“, Les Souffleurs, France
- June 2019, “What is Eros?”, Thessaloniki Queer Arts Festival, MOMus Experimental, Greece
- November 2019, “2 years Kangela Retrospective”, MEME Gallery, Athens, Greece
- Something to Say: A Scottish LGBT Anthology 2000 Poems and photos. (photos pages: 21, 31)
- Into The New 2003 Brochure for Contemporary Theatre Practice Show of RSAMD (photo for Stenope, p13)
- Pride Scotia (event brochure) 2004, (photos pages: 8,10)
- Hidden City, 2006. ISBN: 0-9547040-2-9. (front page image and p2,4,22, 28)
- Ελευθερία Αρβανιτάκη, Πρόσωπο με Πρόσωπο (Live στο Stage) CD/DVD 2010, Selection of photos used in the booklet.
- Mina Orfanoy: a photoshoot 10percent.gr (2010)
- Syrian Rebel. Butt Magazine (March 16,2015)
- Featured Artist at Balaclava.Q (July 27, 2016)
- In Crisis. Kaltblut Magazine (August 23, 2016)
- Nude Men on Rock. Stonewall Gazette (February 15, 2017)
- HIVideo 2017 in Athens Voice (November 29th, 2017)
- 10percent.gr (2010) (GR)
- As curator for Poetry and Porn (2016) (GR) OZON MAGAZINE
- The SWORD for Raspberry Reich GR (ENG)
- ATHENS VOICE Report for Porn Film Festival Vienna (2019) (GR)
- The Radicals– Interview-Article by Alex King (2019) (ENG)